Gum Disease Treatment in West Palm Beach
Gum Disease Treatment Options from Advanced Dental Group
Periodontal disease affects the tissue and bone surrounding the teeth: the gums. Left untreated, this progressive condition can result in tooth loss, as the pockets surrounding the teeth continue to grow and the teeth gradually become looser. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults worldwide. Our dentists seek to stop periodontal (gum) infections to prevent further damage.
What Is Periodontal Disease?
The buildup of bacteria around the teeth below the gum line is what causes periodontal disease. Initially, gum disease starts as gingivitis, which can be reversed in its earliest stages. However, left untreated it will eventually progress to periodontitis, the most severe form of gum disease. Some of the symptoms of periodontal disease include bleeding gums when brushing or flossing, persistent bad breath, swollen gum tissue, loose teeth, and tooth loss.
How Do I Prevent Gum Disease?
Preventative dentistry is essential in keeping you smile healthy and bright. Below are the most important steps you can take in the prevention of gum disease:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Rinse with a dentist-approved mouthwash
- Floss on a regular basis
- Avoid smoking or any tobacco products
Treatment for Periodontal Disease
Periodontal treatment is required to effectively treat gum disease, because you cannot reverse the effects of severe gum disease with at-home brushing and flossing if there is a serious infection and receding gum tissue. The specific treatment that is needed depends on the severity of the disease, but it can often be addressed without the need for surgical treatment. Our goal is to provide conservative treatment for gum disease in West Palm Beach to help you maintain a healthier, brighter smile.
The treatment options for periodontal disease include:
- Oraquix: This needle-free anesthesia method is used during scaling and root planing (“deep cleaning”) procedures to reduce pain. This is the first and only FDA-approved needle-free subgingival anesthetic for use in periodontal pockets during procedures for gum disease treatment.
- Arestin: This is used with scaling and root planing to reduce pocket depth in adults with periodontitis. It is a form of a liquid antibiotic prescribed by your dentist or hygienist.
- Peridex: This prescription oral rinse is a preventative care oral rinse that is used to help patients regain optimal oral health.
- Tooth Tonic: The natural product contains no alcohol, sweeteners, or chemical preservatives.
- Fluoride: Fluoride toothpaste and rinses, such as Vanish, ControlRX, and SootheRX offer prescription therapy to control plaque and decay.
The right treatment depends on the severity and progression of the disease. At Advanced Dental Group, our dentists always use the most conservative treatments possible while meeting the unique needs of each patient. We begin with a comprehensive exam to assess the condition of the gums and recommend the most effective treatment for your specific needs.