Achieving a white smile has become a priority for many people in today’s day of age. In fact, according to sources, Americans spend $1.4 million a year purchasing over the counter teeth whitening products to do so.
What if I were to tell you that rather than spending loads of money on whitening products you can actually eat your way to a whiter smile? Yes, you read that right. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), there are many kinds of foods that can naturally cleanse, whiten and help fight off bacteria that could potentially harm your gums and/or teeth.
- Apples- Apples act as a gentle abrasive and scrubs away unsightly stains and food debris. Apple’s contain malic acid, which is a natural astringent that acts as a bleaching agent that whitens teeth and can also remove stains.
- Pineapple- Pineapples are quite unique, as they are the only food that contains an enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain contains anti-inflammatory and cleansing properties and can remove stains.
- Broccoli- Broccoli is high in fiber, which can reduce inflammation in your mouth. Eating raw broccoli also acts as a gentle abrasive and scrubs away stains. It also contains iron, which can help prevent tooth erosion.
- Cheese- Despite the color of some cheese, most of them will not stain your teeth. Cheese is high in calcium and phosphorus that keeps teeth strong. It also contains protein that helps protect tooth enamel.
- Strawberries- This delicious fruit contains both malic acid and vitamin C. Like apples, the malic acid acts a clenching agent. While the vitamin C helps boost your immune system, which can help reduce your risk of getting gum disease.
- Onions- While onions may not be good your breath, the sulfur compounds in onions reduce bacteria in the mouth that can potentially cause tooth decay. The key is to eat the onions raw, cooking them will destroy the thiosulfinate and thiosulfonates.
As you can see, teeth whitening products are not the only thing that can whiten your teeth. However, to maintain a white smile, regular consumption of these foods isn’t enough. You must also practice proper oral hygiene at home and visit your dentist on a regular basis.
If eating these foods isn’t enough, teeth whitening is a great way to enhance your pearly whites. Contact Advanced Dental Group at 561-869-0872 to schedule a consultation to see if you would benefit from teeth whitening! Or visit www.advanceddentalgrp.com for additional information regarding teeth whitening.
Advanced Dental Group proudly accepts patients from West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Singer Island and all surrounding areas.