Each February the American Dental Association (ADA) sponsors National Children’s Dental Health Month to help raise awareness about the importance of oral health for your children. Developing proper dental hygiene habits when you’re young and visiting your general dentist regularly can help your child get a head start to a lifetime a healthy teeth and gums.
This year the American Dental Association’s slogan for National Children’s Dental Health Month is “Sugar Wars”! This Sugar Wars slogan is displayed on posters and activity sheets featuring the McGrinn Twins, Buck and Flossy, Den and Gen Smiley and K-9 the dog in their spaceship, the USS SweetSwatter. The USS SweetSwatter is equipped with toothbrush swatters to help defeat the evil SweetTooth Invaders. These posters and activity sheets demonstrate effective ways to defeat SweetTooth Invaders and maintain good oral health. Some ways to help you and your children maintain good oral health include the following:
8 Tips to Maintain Good Oral Health:
- Brush every day, twice a day, for two minutes…with your children!
- Floss your teeth every day. If your children are old enough show them how to.
- See a general dentist for regular checkups and teeth cleanings.
- Limit the amount of sugary food and drinks. Eat healthy instead.
- Instill proper oral hygiene habits when your children are young.
- When the gaps between your child’s teeth close, you can start to use floss.
- Be a good role model by practicing proper dental hygiene habits yourself.
- Be sure to check your child’s mouth for any signs of periodontal disease such as bleeding gums, swollen or bright red gums, gums that are receding from teeth and bad breath.
Although keeping up your dental hygiene seems like second nature, some people don’t give their mouth enough oral care, which can result in cavities or even worse, missing teeth. So don’t forget the importance of maintaining good oral health for yourself and your children by keeping up with all of these dental hygiene habits!
For more information regarding oral health, contact Advanced Dental Group at 561-689-0872 or visit our website at www.advanceddentalgrp.com to learn about the services we offer.
Advanced Dental Group proudly accepts patients from West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Singer Island and all surrounding areas.