Every year since 2000, National Flossing Day has been celebrated the day after Thanksgiving. National Flossing Day focuses on the importance of flossing and dental care. The American Dental Association recommends to floss your teeth at least once a day for good oral health. However, a survey done by the ADA showed that only 4 out of 10 people floss every day, and 20% never do. It’s extremely important to floss regularly, if you aren’t flossing at least once a day, you won’t reap the benefits.
Flossing your teeth helps by removing plaque, a sticky film of bacteria and saliva. Plaque collects below the gum line and can eventually harden into tarter. By not brushing and flossing regularly this bacteria can cause inflammation, which is periodontal disease. If left untreated periodontal disease can cause receding gums, tooth decay and even tooth loss. For flossing tips please read the following Do’s and Don’ts:
- Wash your hands before flossing
- Use around 18 inches of dental floss
- Use a gentle up and down motion to clean between teeth
- Use a new section of floss to clean each tooth
- Spend at least 1 minute flossing a day
- Use waxed floss if your teeth are spaced close together
- Do floss your children’s teeth till they can floss well by themselves
- Don’t just floss your front teeth because they are easier to do
- Don’t saw into your gums, it will only hurt them
- Don’t wait till all of your child’s teeth have surfaced to start flossing
- Don’t forget to be a great example and show your children how to brush and floss.
For more information regarding your oral health, contact Advanced Dental Group in West Palm Beach, FL at 561-689-0872 or visit our website at www.advanceddentalgrp.com to learn about the services we offer.
Advanced Dental Group proudly accepts patients from West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Singer Island and all surrounding areas.