Halloween is just around the corner, and most children are getting anxious about the loads of free candy and unlimited access to all sorts of sweet treats! Your dentist on the other hand, is not as excited. As delightful as these Halloween treats are, they can have a devastating impact on your teeth. So as to prevent damaging your teeth this Halloween, we’ve come up with a list of tips to keep that spooktacular smile of yours healthy.
- Eat your Halloween candy with meals or shortly after mealtime. During meals your saliva production increases and helps rinse away food particles and cancel out acids produced by bacteria.
- Avoid hard candy or sweets that stay in your mouth for a long period of time. Candy that is in your mouth for a longer period of time subjects teeth to an increased risk for tooth decay.
- Offer healthier alternatives. Healthier alternatives like sugar-free gum contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, which is effective in fighting the bacteria in plaque and the acid that eats enamel.
- Set up a candy bank. A candy bank is where your child can make daily candy withdrawals and you can still keep a monitored watch. You’re able to control how much candy your child consumes without depriving them of the Halloween spirit.
- Take time to brush up on your oral habits. There’s no better time than Halloween to treat your children and yourself to a little reminder of the importance of a healthy mouth. Even just a quick reminder of the importance of brushing and flossing is all that’s needed to help your children understand the importance of oral health.
Follow these simple tips and tricks for a healthy mouth this Halloween, we hope you’ll enjoy this fun and festive holiday without sacrificing you or your family’s spooktacular smiles. If you would like to learn more about oral health, contact Advanced Dental Group in West Palm Beach, FL at 561-689-0872 or visit our website at www.advanceddentalgro.com.
Advanced Dental Group proudly accepts patients from West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Singer Island and all surrounding areas.